Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released

To: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 16:54:08 -0500
Cc: Mogens Kjaer <mk@xxxxxx>, Ajay Ramaswamy <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 07:42, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> > Ajay Ramaswamy wrote:
> >
> >> If I remember right the SGI installer for 7.3 used to add a sleep(30)
> >> between each of those isys.sync() calls, may be you need to patch the
> >> booty source rpm and put it into the RPMS folder before you run
> >> buildinstall so that the changes are pulled into the stage2.img.
> >

> > I've tried to add a couple of sleep(30)'s but it doesn't help.
> >
> > Also, I've tried sleep(300).
> >
> > I can't remount the installation partition, as it is busy.
> >
> > Hm... I'm out of ideas.
> >
> > Are the sync's ignored on the XFS partition?
> >
> > Mogens
> >

> I even tried hacking the xfs driver so that it always mounts the
> partitions sync but that didn't help either.
>
> Good to see someone tried the 'delay' way. Just sad it didn't help.
>
> This is probably a FAQ but does XFS only push metadata on sync or
> does it ignore it altogether? It smells like a bug but...
Steve has been looking at the sync stuff in XFS and has come up with
some problems. One of them was when inode are marked dirty.
He is still working on the final rework  but I have some the initial
rework into the BOOT kernel and grub will now install and correctly boot
a system.

Now is anybody wants to figure out why the upgrade detection doesn't
work :-/

--
Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>