More processes hanging in 'D' state.

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: More processes hanging in 'D' state.
From: Kelledin <kelledin+XFS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:39:12 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Currently, I've got a kernel compiled with the 2003-04-07
patchset (excluding the kdb-i386 patch).  It's been running for
two days, and just now it got two processes stuck in 'D' state.

The first process was trying to rm -Rf a directory.  The second
process is trying to du -hs that same directory (I got impatient
and suspicious when the rm -Rf sat there for an hour or so and
decided to check on progress).  Apparently, whatever problem is
occurring, it's following a specific inode in said directory,
because I can still traipse about the rest of the fs with no
problems.

Until today, this FS had no problems.  Until two days ago, it was
running the 1.0.2 release on a 2.4.18 kernel.  The system itself
is an EV56/PC164LX.  The kernel itself, aside from the xfs
patchset, has the ptrace patch applied, plus a minor patch
(attached) to fix a silly little compilation bug.  (Pardoning my
very blunt and rather pointed question, do these patchsets even
get a test compile?)

Looking back over recent linux-xfs@ archives, this seems to be a
recurring problem lately?

--