xfs_fsr and nfs lockup

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_fsr and nfs lockup
From: Scott Jepson <scott@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:59:13 -0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Guys,
 I'm running a 2.4.20 kernel with xfs(linux-2.4.20-xfs-2003-03-09) and
nfs(patched) and it seems to have a problem with xfs_fsr. When xfs_fsr
runs biweekly from the crontab(0 2 * * 0,3 /usr/sbin/xfs_fsr >/dev/null 2>&1)
on a 1TB array that has about 700GB used it locks up NFS. None of the
clients can stat/read/write the NFS mount point. I have seen on the NFS
server that after xfs_fsr finishes it does go back to normal but few
times it has rendered the machine unusable and requires a hard reset.

How often does xfs_fsr need to be run? Is the above crontab entry the
right way to do it? Is xfs_fsr suppose to lock the file system?

Thanks in advance,
 -Scott

Scott Jepson,  Managing Partner            Email: scott@xxxxxxxx
Creative Network Services, LLC               http://www.cnes.com