RE: Redhat 9 - grub wont boot with XFS root fs after migration

To: "Gareth Blades" <list.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Redhat 9 - grub wont boot with XFS root fs after migration
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:10:12 +0200
Cc: "Kai Leibrandt" <k_leibrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 14:04 23-4-2003 +0100, Gareth Blades wrote:
Yes I did install grub in (hd0) which is the MBR. I did try installing it
into (hd0,0) later but I have since run xfs_repair so if there were any
problems it should have fixed it.

Did GRUB install the bootloader in both disks in the raid 1 set?

I still use lilo with my raid 1 configs and are unfamiliar with GRUB. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.

The difference is that with LILO you specify that boot=/dev/md0 and it will then install the bootloader in the mbr of both disks.

If the bootloader ends up in the wrong place you will notice this as a corrupt superblock on the XFS filesystem since they both want to go into block 0 of the partition/drive.

Cheers
--
Seth