Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released

To: Martin Spott <Martin.Spott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:07:30 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Spott wrote:
"Kai Leibrandt" <k_leibrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a bug with using GRUB as a bootloader. Either use LILO or use one of the following workarounds:

[...]

Or what you can do to fix grub is:

1) install, ignoring the grub bug
2) reboot into rescue mode from the DVD
3) mount your root partition _only_
4) chroot to that directory

Oh, I already got used to work around (exactly the way you mention here)
what you call a 'bug' - I thought it was a 'feature'  ;-)

Martin.

The reason "my" variant is longer is that I have one machine where a
shorter version using grub-install doesn't work but where using the
same line as used in the installer works fine.

So to get less problems in the long run I described my longer
workaround.

// Stefan