Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:38:21 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Kai Leibrandt wrote:
<SNIP>

There is a bug with using GRUB as a bootloader. Either use LILO or use one of the following workarounds:

<SNIPPED workaround for grub bug>

Or what you can do to fix grub is:

1) install, ignoring the grub bug
2) reboot into rescue mode from the DVD
3) mount your root partition _only_
4) chroot to that directory
5) mount /boot
6) grub-install /dev/hda, or whatever your boot disk is
7) reboot.

This works perfectly, at least with the 1.2 installer CD for 8.0; it
seems to me a lot simpler as nothing had be written down (and those
spaces are a bugger!) and typed in correctly.

So what you're saying is that you basically copied my instructions
except for the part where you run grub-install instead of running
grub yourself :) If you read it carefully you'll notice that I wrote
all the other steps the same way except I wrote HOW to do stuff.
I'm not sure 100% of the userbase knows how to "chroot to that
directory" when you haven't even told them WHAT directory to chroot
to.

// Stefan