RE: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Red Hat Linux 9 XFS DVD Released
From: "Kai Leibrandt" <k_leibrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:47:54 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
<SNIP>

> There is a bug with using GRUB as a bootloader. Either use
> LILO or use one of the following workarounds:

<SNIPPED workaround for grub bug>

Or what you can do to fix grub is:

1) install, ignoring the grub bug
2) reboot into rescue mode from the DVD
3) mount your root partition _only_
4) chroot to that directory
5) mount /boot
6) grub-install /dev/hda, or whatever your boot disk is
7) reboot.

This works perfectly, at least with the 1.2 installer CD for 8.0; it
seems to me a lot simpler as nothing had be written down (and those
spaces are a bugger!) and typed in correctly.
I used this method to "upgrade" a fresh RH9.0 installed onto ext3 by
tarring the individual partitions to an nfs server while in rescue mode,
then mkfs.xfs-ing all partitions, then untarring to the newly formatted
xfs filesystems, re-installing grub and rebooting.

HTH,

Kai.