Re: xfs_force_shutdown(sd(8,17),0x2) called from line 975 ...

To: christian.guggenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_force_shutdown(sd(8,17),0x2) called from line 975 ...
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:49:43 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 12:23 31-3-2003 +0200, Christian Guggenberger wrote:
Hi,

we had recently a hard disk failure in a Hardware Raid5 setup.
I thought this should give us no worries, but.... ( we had some more
disk failures over the last year in similar setups with no problems at
all).

If the hardware raid presents itself as sdb1 and the hardware raid is actually working you should be able to check your filesystem using xfs_repair.

If the raid5 setup has 2 disk failures at the same time and this was the 2nd disk going from the set then you are fried.

Hardware raid should _NEVER_ throw an IO error if the raid container is still alive. If it does, either the raid controller is broken or in this case there might have been a 2nd disk gone and thus it restults in a IO error.

The hardware raid controller presents itself as a virtual device and the sectors you are referring to are not actual disk sectors.

I am afraid we cannot help you.

Cheers

--
Seth