Re: Copy with extended attributes

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch.news@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Copy with extended attributes
From: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:36:05 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, acl-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

On Monday 31 March 2003 02:05, Nathan Scott wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 04:13:57AM +0200, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> >  Thanks, Eric, for the fast answer.
> >
> > Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > >There are versions of fileutils which include acl/attr support -
> > >see http://acl.bestbits.at/
> >
> > I checked that out, but the description of star
> > <http://acl.bestbits.at/download.html#Star> explicitly states that it
> > doesn't support EAs, only ACLs, and quickly looking over the fileutils
> > diff suggests the same for that package (cp, mv etc.). I merged the
> > patch with the current Debian sources and built and ran cp, but the
> > attributes were not copied.

The web site is out of date. I have copied the most up-to-date coreutils and
star patches of <http://acl.bestbits.at/pre/latest/> for now. I will update
the web site as soon as possible. Right now I *really* have more important
stuff to do, sorry.

Check out <http://www.suse.de/~agruen/ea-acl-copy/>.

> I'm not sure what the current state of this project is, though.
> The missing piece afaict is the changes to the commands to make
> use of those new attr_copy_file/attr_copy_fd routines.

It's in the coreutils patch.

Cheers,
Andreas.