Re: LBA to File?

To: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LBA to File?
From: Bogdan Costescu <bogdan.costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:49:30 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Michel Machado <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> I've not checked super recent drives, but some about a year or so old
> do support SMART but it seems in a limitied (ie. broken) capacity.

S.M.A.R.T. is supposed to be an industry standard. Now, disk manufacturers
can on one hand implement only a part of the parameters or introduce
extensions to this standard; some other times they might have their own
interpretation of what a parameter should mean. My impression is that it
doesn't depend on whether they are cheap drives or not, but more on the
manufacturer - f.e. I got almost the same parameters for IBM drives from
different drive families of various ages (last 2 years or so).

IDE controllers cards or mainboards have had S.M.A.R.T. related functions
for several years - I have Intel 440BX based mainboards from 1998 that
offer the option of enabling it and give a warning message if something is
wrong with the disk at boot time.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx