Re: Kernel with XFS + nvidia/nforce2 Chipset ?

To: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel with XFS + nvidia/nforce2 Chipset ?
From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Mar 2003 12:50:36 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 01:48, Juergen Sauer wrote:

> The well known/common patches for 2.4 Kernels are failing on our
> XFS stable kernels.
> Without this patched the ide modules are not enableing DMA/UDMA at all so
> this is not a usable solution.

Is this a specific nForce2 problem?
I was able to use XFS and DMA on nForce1 with no problems.

> The original Nvidia "Drivers" has only "audio" and "network" drivers, but
> nvida excluded the IDE Part. (Bad Boys!).

Is it related just to IDE for the CD-ROM, or for all devices?
If it's just for CD-ROMs, here's an excerpt from the RELEASE-NOTES for
RH8.0:

###########################
DMA is disabled on CD-ROM drives in this release in a different but more
reliable way than previously. If you are sure that your CD-ROM drive is
capable of IDE DMA, place the following line in the /etc/modules.conf
file:
options ide-cd dma=1

--
Florin Andrei

"It is not because books are too expensive
that they worship football." - Paul Graham