re[2]: upgrade scenario for samba server

To: Spyros Ioakim <sioakim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: re[2]: upgrade scenario for samba server
From: Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:00:43 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >>  And final question:
 >>  Can you please be more specific on the limitation of samba and acls?
 >>  What I want to do is for a file/folder the user that owns it to be able to
 >>  give permissions to another user(s) or maybe another group.
 >>  Access will normaly be Read, Write, Full Control.
 >>  Please let me know if that's possible or if I will just waste my time with
 >>  the upgrade.

 >>  Regards,
 >>  Spyros

You can definitely give other users and groups unique privileges.

Posix ACLs only allow each unique user/group to have 3 permissions read / write
/ execute.

i.e. the normal UNIX permissions, but expanded to have the ability to define
them for multiple users and groups.

So what you describe should be possible.

NTFS also has a delete ACL I think that is not supported, and I don't know how
Modify and List Folder Contents are handled.

Greg