Re: Problem using appletalk with MacOS X to a scsi hd with XFS.

To: Harald Wagener <hwagener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem using appletalk with MacOS X to a scsi hd with XFS.
From: Jameel Akari <jakari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:38:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <scottl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netatalk-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Am Freitag, 21.02.03 um 08:54 Uhr schrieb Seth Mos:

> > I have someone from promise who is having problems accessing files
> > over Appletalk using MacOS X to a scsi disk.

> > I create a partition with XFS on SCSI device, and copy a lot of files
> > (about 500M bytes) from Mac X to this partition, sometimes it will
> > fail with error message "-50".
> > But when the partition is ext2 on scsi device, XFS on IDE device or
> > ext2 on IDE device, they are OK.

        Now that's plain weird.  I want to call it a red herring, but...

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Harald Wagener wrote:
> netatalk-1.4b2 is ancient right now. To pipe up to the xfs motto,
> please try a more recent version if possible (like 1.6.0 or even
> 1.6.1pre2, which is to become 1.6.1 shortly). Also, Mac OS X is known
> to have problems with netatalk in earlier versions. Would an upgrade to
> the recently available 10.2.4 be possible for further testing?

        Indeed.  There have been a number of fixes in OS X 10.2 up to
10.2.4 for filesharing (Appletalk and otherwise) so it'd probably be a good
thing to try, if possible.  I only ever used 10.a.x as an Appletalk server,
not a client, but I seem to recall there being a number of fixes there as
well.

        Also, can you try connecting to the share via NFS or Samba, and
seeing if that changes the outcome?  Both work great for my OSX Macs connecting
to an XFS fileserver.  I don't use Netatalk at all anymore.

--
#!/jameel/akari
sleep 4800;