Re: Please pay attention to RedHat 7.x, other stable linux kernels (2.4)

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Please pay attention to RedHat 7.x, other stable linux kernels (2.4) please ;p
From: "John Haverty" <zeio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 01:57:58 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given your detailed analysis of different Red Hat versions you might
have noticed that the 7.x and 8.0 errata kernels differ only the
version string and the conmpiler usded for building..

I was referring to broken c libraries and broken compilers, and a strange fetish by the vendor to up versions of things that should be upped conservatively and never revving some important things. I have run into a few applications, including 'our own' that do not run properly on RedHat 8.

The XFS code is freely available - port it to FreeBSD if you think it's worth the effort. I doubt my employer (SGI) is interested in wasting it's time for something like that
(note that this is not an official statement,
just an educated guess)

FreeBSD, waste of time? Hardly. FreeBSD is, for example, the basis for JunOS, a military grade piece of iron that runs the best routers on earth, so I hardly think of FreeBSD as a waste. Plus, FreeBSD is a meritocracy, well documented, coherent. One who works for a real unix vendor, such as SGI->Irix, should have an appreciation of FreeBSD. It's fine wine in the sour world of Linux. ;p

I think I'll pay attention to Seth Moss' efforts @
http://iserv.nl/files/xfs/2.4.18-24/
It looks to be just what I need. I hope he continues with the effort. It's much appreciated.

I also think it's sad that RedHat hasn't chosen excellence for its customers. XFS is the best filesystem for Linux, and they keep pushing other inferior alternatives. Thanks for working against them on this :)

I would also like to point out that RedHat 8 is officially a desktop OS, and the vendor, who I deal with (and am seeking alternatives to because of this) is basically telling me, a paying customer this: You will no longer be able to get free "server" renditions of RedHat. You have to buy Advanced Server. Also note that Advanced Server has no publicly available RPMS in binary form. It's all very frustrating and needless to say I am an upset RedHat user and hearken back to the days of really die hard support for RedHat. (RedHat 7.0 and below "die" in March this year, and 7.1-7.3 die in December.)

Thanks again anyone working on XFS for Linux, its great ;p