Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)

To: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)
From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 10:40:00 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 11:28, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> After switching to XFS and (mea culpa!) forgetting to set up xfs_fsr to be
> run by cron, the read speed would be similar after several days-weeks.
> However, by using xfs_fsr we go back to reading with around 20 MiB/s even
> for a pretty full FS.

There were many helpful answers posted to the list, surely you can pick
a few good ones and try.

A generic method that seems to work pretty much everywhere and provides
good results is to avoid the disk usage to grow too much. A filesystem
that's at 95% usage will usually be quite fragmented. Stay away from
that.
By doing some tests you may be able to determine which is - in your case
- the disk usage limit which triggers the fragmentation problems.

--
Florin Andrei

A cloned dog doesn't know the old tricks.