Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)

To: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)
From: Bogdan Costescu <bogdan.costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:48:52 +0100 (CET)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, D. Stimits wrote:

> I am curious if the data is binary, or if it is in such a form that SQL
> storage could be used?

Yes, the data is binary, lots of Fortran INTEGER*4 and REAL*8.
At least in some cases, data could be split for putting it into some
database. But that would require very many changes in all aspects of our
work as not only the producer has to be made SQL-aware, but also all
consumers of this data. Another aspect is that data is usually consumed in
the same sequence that it was produced, so none of the fancy sorting could
be involved.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx