Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Defrag pitfals (was Re: Support for XFS File systems)
From: Bogdan Costescu <bogdan.costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:07:21 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 12 Feb 2003, Steve Lord wrote:

> You can always tell fsr to just defragment these files, rather than
> the whole filesystem.

Sure, but there's not much else on the FS. And it would mean to find a
reliable way of identifying them... Too complicated :-)

But either at file or FS level the important feature for us (OK, I'll say
it just one more time :-)) is that it can be done with a mounted FS; I'm
not aware of any other Linux FS where this is possible. Thank you for your
work !

[Maybe OT] Inbetween these messages, I talked to a friend about a
networking problem that he has as part of a P2P network. Then made the
connection that the way files are stored when downloaded from such network
is very similar to our situation (talking here only about large stuff like
ISO images, movies and whatnot) - files are written to disk over several
hours, days or weeks, depending on Internet link speed and availability.
The difference might be in appended vs. random writting mode; for the
networks that support chunked file transfer they are probably written as
sparse files. Then the files have to be read for writting to CD (ISO
images), played (movies) etc., so they have the same problem.
Heh, that could make XFS the FS of choice for all Linux P2P users
(outlaws or not) around the globe :-)))

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx