Re: Yet Another mkfs.xfs RAID Question

To: Christian.Guggenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Yet Another mkfs.xfs RAID Question
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Feb 2003 16:20:46 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>> "Christian" == Christian Guggenberger
>>>>> <Christian.Guggenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Christian> I'm going to set up a new 1.7 TB HW Raid 5 next week.  RAID
Christian> 5 contains 11 disks, Stripe Unit should be (according to
Christian> the manual) 128k.  so my mkfs.xfs options will be
Christian> sunit=256, swidth=2560 for the data section, won't they?

Yup.

Christian> I will definitly use internal log, so I'd like to ask, if I
Christian> should use logversion 2, and what sunit and swidth values I
Christian> should use here?  I guess the same as for the data
Christian> section???

128KB log alignment seems a bit of an overkill.

Does your controller state which chunk size it uses internally?  Most
controllers use 4-16KB blocks for RAID5.  So try aligning your log to
values in that neighbourhood.

There's no swidth for the log, btw.

--
Martin K. Petersen      http://mkp.net/