Re: xfs_repair unable to repair a corrupt filesystem

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair unable to repair a corrupt filesystem
From: "Russell G. Howe" <rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:33:09 +0000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:59:31AM +1100, Nathan Scott wrote:

> There was an XFS problem in syncing when remounting read-only
> (which happens just before reboot), which was fixed earlier this
> year - it frequently affected /var because that is always very
> active during shutdown - this fix might help you if you upgrade.

Hm, I didn't realise all filesystems were remounted ro, I thought all
but / were unmounted and then only / was remounted ro. Oh well you learn
something new every day!

See http://rhowe.sfarc.net/xfs_db_inode_2222.txt

> To force the block count for these inodes,
> do something like (fs must be unmounted):
>
> # xfs_db -x -c 'inode 2222' -c 'write core.nblocks 189764' /dev/XXX
> (repeat for inode 6296608)

I'm assuming doing this will alter the structure of the inode, as seen
in the previous URL so I'll hold off running this in case you spot
something in the output above.

I don't need the file referenced by inode 2222, so losing it is of no
consequence. I'd actually forgotten about its existence!

--
Russell Howe     | Why be just another cog in the machine,
rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx | when you can be the spanner in the works?