Re: default quota limits in linux (via quotactl())

To: "Stefan (metze) "Metzmacher <metze@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: default quota limits in linux (via quotactl())
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 16:22:26 +0000
Cc: viro@xxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, akpm@xxxxxxxxxx, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ext2-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jfs-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 14:41, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> I would like linux to handle default quota limits like NTFS 5 do it.
>
> So if a new user is added to the system and start to own disk space on a
> filesystem he
> should get the default quotas for the specified FS as his own quotas.

That's a user-space problem.  A new user typically won't have a writable
area within /home until the sysadmin has created the new home directory,
so it's really up to the sysadmin to make sure that the quota for the
home filesystem has been set at the same time.

> I have searched in google to find another unix witch allready implements
> this feature,
> but I didn't find any.

The kernel doesn't need it --- just do it in the user-space user config
tool.

Cheers,
 Stephen