Re: recommended compiler?

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: recommended compiler?
From: Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:54:28 -0500
Cc: Seung-yeong Oh <so1713@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Seth Mos wrote:
At 03:42 20-1-2003 +0900, Seung-yeong Oh wrote:

Hello,
I'm still trying to figure out what the source of my problem is;

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/200301/msg00194.html

Anyway, what is the recommended compiler for XFS 1.2? Up to 1.1, I've
read that SGI developer team recommends kgcc in the Makefile, I don't
see that sort of NOTE in the Makefile in kernel
2.4.18-18SGI_XFS_1.2pre5.

I build my kernels with gcc-2.96 these days which seem to do fine. The kgcc was mainly needed in the pre 11 releases.

A lot of people use the (updated!) 2.96 which seems to work fairly well.

For the past few months, I have been building systems with the latest
XFS from CVS using GCC 3.2...  I have yet to run into a problem that
was due to the compiler.  The systems are all over the map, from dual
Xeon servers with lots of disk to PIII-M laptops to Athelon workstations
to even a 486 "honey pot" machine.  All are running XFS as their only
filesystem (modulo ISO-9660 and NFS) and some have been very heavily
used.

I just wish we had our big cluster running this stuff yet.  However,
our product plans had to slow down due to resources...

--
Michael Sinz -- Director, Systems Engineering -- Worldgate Communications
A master's secrets are only as good as