Re: recommended compiler?

To: Seung-yeong Oh <so1713@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: recommended compiler?
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:34:52 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 03:42 20-1-2003 +0900, Seung-yeong Oh wrote:
Hello,
I'm still trying to figure out what the source of my problem is;

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/200301/msg00194.html

Anyway, what is the recommended compiler for XFS 1.2? Up to 1.1, I've
read that SGI developer team recommends kgcc in the Makefile, I don't
see that sort of NOTE in the Makefile in kernel
2.4.18-18SGI_XFS_1.2pre5.

I build my kernels with gcc-2.96 these days which seem to do fine. The kgcc was mainly needed in the pre 11 releases.

A lot of people use the (updated!) 2.96 which seems to work fairly well.

If kernel rpm with XFS1.2 is made for RedHat 8.0 AND RedHat8.0 uses gcc3
as the default compiler, then would the binary made in RedHat7.x cause
some sort of problems when the default compiler in RedHat7.x is used,
which is ver. 2.96?

I suspect that using gcc-3.0 will turn up more problems then compiling with 2.96. I don't even have one 8.0 box around to compile those things.

Also, what about glibc version? The main reason I rebuilt kernel source
rpm with XFS 1.2 was that the binary rpm's were built with glibc2.3. If
binary cmd & kernel rpm's made with glibc2.2 in RedHat7.x are used,
would that cause some compatibility issue?

I don't see why the kernel needs to have a glibc dependency. The same sources build fine on a glibc-2.2 system along as you do a make mrproper before building.

Cheers

--
Seth