mount -o loop problem

To: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: mount -o loop problem
From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 13:10:08 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I took a copy of an XFS partition from an Irix system, using dd:

dd if=/dev/dsk/dks1d1s0 of=somesystem.img bs=1024k

Then i put the image on a Linux system running an XFS-enabled kernel and
i tried to mount it via loopback. I started with this command:

mount -t xfs -o loop,ro,noatime,nodev,nofsck somesystem.img image/

...which of course didn't worked. After dropping a few parameters, i
ended up trying this:

mount -o loop,noatime,nodev somesystem.img image/

At this moment i got this error on the command line:

[root@stantz somesystem]# mount -o loop,noatime,nodev somesystem.img
image/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       or too many mounted file systems
[root@stantz somesystem]#

...and this error in syslog:

Jan 15 13:00:34 stantz kernel: XFS: dirty log written in incompatible
format - can't recoverXFS: log mount/recovery failedXFS: log mount
failedXFS mounting filesystem
loop(7,0)
Jan 15 13:00:34 stantz kernel: XFS: nil uuid in log - IRIX style
logStarting XFS recovery on filesystem: loop(7,0) (dev: 7/0)

I'm not exactly happy with not using "-o ro" and not being able to use
"nofsck" because i need to disturb as little as possible on this image
(a low-level analysis must be performed on it). But anyhow, at this
moment i'd be content to mount it in any way that works (i can create
another copy if i have to).

So, what's wrong? How can i mount the image via loopback, while at the
same time preserving its state exactly as it is (within reason, i'd like
to do as little writes as possible when mounting it for the first time)?

The reason i need to loopback-mount it on Linux is that i have to run an
analysis tool on it, and i couldn't compile the tool on Irix yet; i may
be able to do that in the future but, for the short term, loopback seems
like a quicker solution.

--
Florin Andrei

"The Indians of the American Southwest called him Coyote, those of the
Pacific Coast called him Raven. Europeans called him Reynard the Fox.
African-Americans called him Br'er Rabbit. In 20-century literature he
appears first as Bugs Bunny and then as the Hacker." - Neal Stephenson