Re: Strange XFS corruption...

To: Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange XFS corruption...
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Jan 2003 13:01:27 -0600
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 09:01, Michael Sinz wrote:
> Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Yep, when we got multiple entries here, neither check nor repair complained.
> > I guess it's not fundamentally inconsistent from a filesystem integrity
> > perspective, but it does not make the operating system happy.
> >
> > We don't have a root cause for this one, we think it's another way
> > that the shutdown problem exhibited itself.  If you can run the latest
> > code (1.2pre5) the shutdown problem should be fixed, and if you see
> > it again, let us know!
>
> Well, I am now running from CVS as of Jan 11, 2003.  I have not seen
> this elsewhere yet.
>
> I wonder how the filesystem thought that this was "fine" since
> all of the files (the multiple entries) showed exactly the same
> date/size/etc.  (Albeit that may be due to the VFS layer - I am
> not 100% clear on how those two interact)
Multiple entries in a directory shouldn't happen, and from a FS
consistency point it really isn't a fatal problem either.
It's basically a "lookup" problem.
Checking for multiple entries of the same name is not something
xfs_check/xfs_repair checks for and therefore will not report a problem.

It's certainly possible to add this check to xfs_repair although it's
unlikely we will make it a high priority.

> However, I would think that XFS should not like having multiple
> file node entries in a directory with the same identifier (file name).
XFS doesn't really care just it just passes whatever it has to the upper
layers for it to sort out. This is true of all the FS.
--
Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxx>