Re: linux

To: Jameel Akari <jakari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linux
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:50:08 +0000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:25:13PM -0500, Jameel Akari wrote:
> > >Can you run Linux on an SGI O2 machine?
>
>       No.

You might not be able to get it working yet, maby other people not either.
But there is an early port and some people at least claim it boots :)

>       Yeah, last time I looked, there was a partially working Linux for
> Indys (R4K/R5K) that ran in serial console.  No graphics.  Might have been
> multiuser, maybe not.  Even though I have a working Indy, I stuck with
> Irix.

The indy in my cubicle (running debian woody) runs nicely under X.
You don't really want to use gnome or kde on it it's pretty useable for
occasional testing on big-endian linux boxens.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0103.0/0239.html