Re: xfs_growfs, lvm, and sparcs....

To: Tod Detre <tod@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_growfs, lvm, and sparcs....
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 07:03:48 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:35:16AM -0500, Tod Detre wrote:
> I've been using xfs on linux lvm for quite a while now without any
> problems on both i386 and alpha systems. I've recently install this on
> a sparcstation I want to use as a file server and didn't run into any
> problems until I tried to grow a filesystem. when I try xfs_growfs I
> get this error:
>
> xfs_growfs /usr
> xfs_growfs: cannot determine geometry of filesystem mounted at /usr:
> Invalid argument
>
> Any ideas on why this is happening or a way around it?

There was a problem like this a few weeks/months back in the
way the tools were handling a new ioctl version; but it should
be fixed now (definately in the versions you've listed here...)

> Debian/sid
> xfs kernel from cvs 2.4.20-xfs
> xfsprogs from cvs (same as kernel)
> Sparcstation 5, ide disks

What does xfs_growfs -V say, and what's the XFS CVS version/date
timestamp from your system log?  Could you send me strace output
on your failing growfs command too, as a starting point?

thanks.

--
Nathan