Re: XFS trouble (!)

To: Ajay Shekhawat <ajay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS trouble (!)
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:40:32 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 10:51:48PM -0500, Ajay Shekhawat wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:55:26PM +1100, Nathan Scott wrote:
> > Can you send (cut & paste) the exact error message from your
> > system logs?  This will show exactly which point in the XFS
> > mount code an error is being flagged.  -- thanks.
>
> Nathan,
> Here's the snippet from /var/log/messages:
> Nov 29 12:44:15 gasque kernel: XFS: nil uuid in log - IRIX style logXFS:
> failed
> to locate log tailXFS: log mount/recovery failedXFS: log mount failedXFS
> mounting filesystem lvm(58,0)
>
> Thats it. No other messages.

Ah, I see.

Is this a CVS kernel from sometime in the last week or two?

> I did "xfs_db -r -c uuid /dev/raid/vol", and it printed a non-nil uuid.

Yeah, thats the uuid from the superblock - mount is saying the uuid
in the log is nil (different place on disk, should be same uuid).

> (it is still running; don't want to interrupt it)
>
> Should I just go ahead and run 'xfs_repair' without the "-n" ?

If this is a kernel which had some of the CVS breakage from the
last week or so, then you may find changing the uuid using xfs_db
to be enough to get you up and running again (because xfs_db will
write both the log uuid and the superblock uuids; and will zero
the log for you too, which is what we really want here).

Assuming this is a recent kernel, don't go back to that same one -
if it is one with this problem it will corrupt the log straight
away again during recovery.  Get current CVS, its fairly good; or
better yet get the 1.2 release - its more stable than CVS is just
now.

Good luck!  (at this stage, looks like you only have corruption in
the log, so xfs_repair is not going to help too much there - except
to say there's no corruption elsewhere, which is good).

cheers.

--
Nathan