Re: [Acl-Devel] Re: User EA on symlinks, 2.4.19-xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Acl-Devel] Re: User EA on symlinks, 2.4.19-xfs
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:08:20 -0900
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:55:23PM +1000, Ben Martin wrote:

> Basically its for multi desktop management.
> eg. I have ~/.ego/desktopN/ which has a bunch of symlinks for desktop N
> and a few special fake files for running raw scheme code. I may wish to
> represent /tmp in two views, one with a small icon on the right hand
> side of the screen just for convenience and on another desktop I might
> want /tmp with a 64x64 icon and be more prominent on the screen at top
> left. So as my code stands right now I store
> user.ferris-icon-name
> user.ferris-icon-x
> user.ferris-icon-y
> as EA on the object itself, be it a file/dir/symlink. This way the
> symlinks can have different icons and locations.

this is somewhat off-topic, but are you really sure EAs are the best
place for this kind of info?  please consider that UNIX is a multi
user OS, in shared directories this method of storage will fall down
as the various users accessing the data will either clobber each
other's preferences for icon placement, or be annoyed by other users
choices (it all depends on the permissions of the files/dirs).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/