Re: streaming media and realtime subvolume

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: streaming media and realtime subvolume
From: George Georgalis <georgw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:25:17 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:38:49AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 11:37, George Georgalis wrote:
>> Can you give examples of 'direct i/o'? do you mean like dd? from which I
>> can pipe stdout to my media player?
>
>No, like O_DIRECT, as in:
>
>fd = open("tempfile_direct", O_CREAT|O_RDWR|O_DIRECT, 0666);
>
>It bypasses the buffer cache.

Well, that sounds good. :) <trying to be gracious> can't we just mount a
partition that way </>, I'm guessing no.

Humm, I see your syntax as a little different then my GNU/Linux OPEN(2)
man page, is that because my man page is not patched with the xfs kernel
or should I be using the other flags?

SYNOPSIS
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/stat.h>
       #include <fcntl.h>

       int open(const char *pathname, int flags);
       int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode);
       int creat(const char *pathname, mode_t mode);

(I've seen C, but I don't program in it so I'm weary) Is there some C
code to handle this type of open/close with stdin/out? and which can be
called from a perl or bash script? Or is this something I need to write
on my own? surly somebody has done it....

Oh, one other thing, nobody has mentioned any mount parameters, ...I
guess since I'm mostly doing read only, shortening the commit interval
won't have any affect. ;)

Thanks for the help.
// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx