upgrading gcc

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: upgrading gcc
From: "Joe St.Clair" <ksimach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:51:16 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Does anyone know if I upgrade "gcc" and its dependencies on a RedHat system if I am going to break anything.
What I would be upgrading is...

binutils from 2.10.91.0.2-3 to 2.11.90.0.8-9
gcc from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
gcc-g77 from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
gcc-c++ from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
gcc-objc from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
cpp from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
libstdc++ from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98
libstdc++-devel from 2.96-85 to 2.96-98

rpm -Uvh --test shows no problem, but that dosen't mean something else will not understand the change.
This is a RedHat 7.1 system and the upgrade RPMs are from RedHat 7.2.

I am having some proglems building a new kernel with the existing "gcc" and if this upgrade would work then I should be set. As this is a compiler I would assume it is not going to crash the system. If it won't work I should be able to uninstall and reinstall the old "gcc" and dependencies.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
Joseph St.Clair - KSI Machine & Engineering