Re: xfsdump stuck in io_schedule

To: Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump stuck in io_schedule
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:33:50 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:07:57PM +0100, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> What kernel do you use?

Presently I'm running a kernel compiled from CVS as of yesterday, but
the problem I found went away two days ago or so (using whatever was
current then).

> Hm, before answering that, I'll need a little help to compile kernel
> with xfs from cvs. How do i proceed, get everything from cvs and put
> instead of in-kernel tree?

Something like:

cvs -d :pserver:cvs@xxxxxxxxxxx/cvs login
"cvs" <enter>
cvs -d :pserver:cvs@xxxxxxxxxxx/cvs co linux-2.5-xfs
cd linux-2.5-xfs/linux
cp path/to/present/.config .config
make oldconfig
make dep bzImage modules
[...]

> I thought 2.5 follows cvs, is that true?

I don't know official if it should, but it certainly lags a fair
amount at times.  Maybe someone from SGI can comment on how often
stuff is pushed to Linus?

> Or are we speaking just about last few days worth of work which is
> in cvs but not yet synced to Linus kernel tree?

I'm talking, in this instance, about something 'working' now that
didn't a few days ago (being no longer able to get xfsdump getting
stuck in io_schedule).

In general though, it would seem Linus' tree lags by a few days to
over a week at times.

  --cw