RE: Defrag Utility -- UNIX v. the "one-big C: drive" world

To: LA Walsh <law@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Defrag Utility -- UNIX v. the "one-big C: drive" world
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:17:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting LA Walsh <law@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Does xfs_fsr defrag freespace as well?  Any idea on how much
> fragmentation affects performance on xfs?  Is it on the same
> order that it is on FAT32 or NTFS?  I've read (perhaps it was
> defrat company propaganda), that while FAT could be
> defragemented on an occasional, as needed basis, NTFS needed
> more aggressive fragmentation -- so much so that an auto
> defragger in background could be useful in some circumstances.
> I've tended to think of *nix fs's as not usually needing defragmenting
> if they were kept below 90% capacity, I think xfs's defragmenter is the
> first I've heard of on a *nix.

Correct.  Because there is usually such a strict separation of binaries, data
and temporary/swap files -- the the formers not becoming at the mercy of the
latters.  Assuming, of course, you seperate out such filesystems to take
advantage of that inherit UNIX advantage.

The reservation of the last 5-10% of disk space also prevents massive
fragmentation on filesystems that fill up quickly.

> Order on disk correlated to execution order after boot can affect boot
> performance on WindowsXP by over 100%.  Have there been any
> measurements on block ordering with xfs (or any *nix fs's for that
> matter)...

Again, we return to the issue of "one big C: drive" (even though NT 5.x now
supports, unofficially because of some application incompatibilities,
"filesystem mounts in filesytems").

A small / (root), which houses /etc, /sbin, etc... that is fairly static is not
one to fragment very quickly.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA