Re: streaming media and realtime subvolume

To: George Georgalis <georgw@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: streaming media and realtime subvolume
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:31:42 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 10:17 7-11-2002 -0500, George Georgalis wrote:

I do have a few questions though. I'm not sure if blade's disks used
xfs-1.0 or xfs-1.1; and xfs-1.2 seems eminent (I saw some xfs-1.2preX
patches). Does the filesystem remain the same through these version
changes or should I think about doing a mkfs.xfs each time I upgrade
the the xfs version?

No, the filesystem will not change. Only the log format has changed over time And you would only notice that using a really old kernel and a unclean shutdown.

I expect a single 7200rpm ide drive to be able to handle the stream.

reading from or writing to?

I'm using raid for high availability; but uninterrupted streams is
a must. What mount parameters can I use to assure uninterrupted io?

Is it a single file?

Are there other adjustments I should be thinking of? I've seen a few
mentions of the Linux xfs realtime subvolume but no doc, is it ready for
production? From what I can tell, it's a non journeled contiguous data
block. Maybe I should just use ext2 for the media files? Would that be

Read speed is about as fast on most filesystems, at least for a IDE disk.
That is, xfs, ext2/3 and reiserfs are almost as fast reading a single large file. XFS is good with large files in particular.

higher performance? I'm not too worried about fsck, because in the case
of corruption I can remake the filesystem (data partition) and renew the
data from the node server.

If data corruption is not a issue and you do a lot of writing to the filesystem, it might* be faster to use a non journaling filesystem.

*Baring a number of caveats ofcourse. For most people this is negligble but not always so. It depends on too much factors.