Re: Little questions

To: yoros@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Little questions
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 09:10:34 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 15:47, yoros@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions about XFS and generic filesystem management.
>
> The first question is about the creation of sparse files. I want to
> learn more and more. Another question is related to the process of
> deleting files. How does XFS delete a file?. Does XFS have a list of
> extents? (because it is slow when deleting a file that has lots of
> extents).

The more extents a file has, the longer it takes to delete it, yes.
It is not the amount of space in a file, but the number of extents
which matters. I can remove a 4000 extent file in less than 2 second
on a 450MHz box here.

So, two questions:

        1. How slow is a delete for you, how many extents and how long
           does it take.

        2. What version of the software and what hardware and how is
           your filesystem configured.

Steve