Re: XFS removal of #define STATIC static

To: fdavis@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS removal of #define STATIC static
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:56:17 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 22 Oct 2002 22:09:28 -0500,
Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 22:02, Frank Davis wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>     Per a recent email on linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alan Cox stated
>> that
>> #define STATIC static
>>
>> is outdated (no longer used). As a result, I've removed references to
>> the outdated macro in all files except for XFS (defined in
>> fs/xfs/linux/xfs_linux.h) within the 2.5.44-ac1 kernel. Would it be
>> possible for the XFS team to also remove this outdated macro? Thanks.
>
>The only reason I can think of needing this is for symbol tables
>in debuggers - and trying to keep some semblance of the same
>code base between Irix and Linux. Not sure if we really have
>a debugger setup on linux where being able to turn off static
>helps to be honest, does a gdb symbol table include static
>functions?

kdb has no problems with static functions.  gdb has static functions in
its symbol tables, but debugging (or disassembling) static inline
functions with gdb is unreliable.  There have been a few times when I
have compiled with -DSTATIC= to get a decent disassembly under gdb.
OTOH, it is just as easy to manually remove static from the individual
function you are looking at.

>Unless someone is feeling bored and wants to knock up a sed script
>I am not sure this will happen, but I don't really have an objection
>beyond the above.

p_modify $(fgrep -rwl STATIC fs/xfs/)
perl -i -lpe 's/\bSTATIC\b/static/g;' $(fgrep -rwl STATIC fs/xfs/)
Hand edit fs/xfs/pagebuf/{page_buf_internal.h,xfs_linux.h},
fs/xfs/Makefile, fs/xfs/linux/Makefile, fs/xfs/pagebuf/Makefile

Done.