Re: Log corruption?

To: James Pearson <james-p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Log corruption?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 12:04:19 -0500
Cc: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:59, James Pearson wrote:
> Thanks, that seems to compile OK.
>
> However, I have a couple of questions:
>
> When I was looking through the CVS history for xfs_log_recover.c, I
> noticed this (similar) one line change was after a previous bigger
> change to handle read-only mounts - does XFS 1.1 need something similar
> as well?

Most of that change was cosmetic... the bit I gave you was the part that
might affect log corruption.  Without that part, we might skip an
important part of log recovery on filesystems which are mounted
read-only.  The rest of the log_recovery.c changes are mostly cleanups
for benign things.

> Also, when I boot the system from CD/floppy in rescue mode and attempt
> to mount the root file system, I get the oops described below - but in
> this case the mount is mounting read-write - so I'm a bit confused to as
> why this read-only mount fix will help?

The change I gave you will hopefully prevent the log from getting into
the state (where it oopses on recovery) in the future.  For a log
-already- in that state, it won't help.  You'll probably need to do an
xfs_repair -L to get things going again.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.         651-683-3102