2.4.19xfs + preempt causes hangs?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 2.4.19xfs + preempt causes hangs?
From: Christian Lambert <clambert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Christian Lambert <clambert@xxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I've been running a stock debian 2.4.19 + xfs2.4.19 snapshot patch + preempt
and this worked fine for like 3-4 days now.  But this morning I came up
and my system hung up when I did "ls" in the console.   Then everything
hung up from there and lead eventually to X hanging as well, the hard drive
light was solid "on".   I have a mix of reiserfs and xfs filesystems so I'm
not sure what caused it, but I wanted to know if this is known to cause
problems or it's supposed to work?  I'm not using lock-break, just preempt.
I think what might have trigged this hang is the updatedb (for locate) that
ran during the night and maybe have hosed things up scanning thru the
filesystems.

-Christian