Re: mount hangs

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mount hangs
From: Sidik Isani <lksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:46:00 -1000
Cc: Sidik Isani <lksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:09:50AM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
> At 18:05 3-10-2002 -1000, Sidik Isani wrote:
> >Hello -
> >
> >   but attempting to mount without read-only still hangs, apparently
> >   indefinitely (there's no activity on the machine.)  The version
> >   of mount is 2.11u, and we're running the CVS kernel.  It's a bit
> >   scary to think we're going to have to reformat all our filesystems
> >   if we need/want to upgrade beyond 2.4.16?  Any idea what is going
> >   on?  Again, xfs_repair now says this is a perfectly consistent
> >   filesystem, so this shouldn't be happening.
>
> The only change to the filesystem over history has been a change in the
> logformat. I have a box here that even saw the 2.4.0-test kernels and it
> still reports no problems and mounts just fine.

  Same here, actually.  It could be a problem in software RAID5 too.  I
  hope someone with more experience with backtraces than me can decide.

> One thing that does apply is that you _need_ to have a cleanly unmounted
> partition to be able to mount it with a newer kernel. And it is in the same
> time frame as the kernels you are using.
>
> I think something in the log-part of the filesystem may be playing up.
> After cleanly unmounting the filesystem you might try zerooing the log
> using xfs_repair -L

  Yup.  Without that, I couldn't even mount at all.  After xfs_repair -L,
  I could still only mount read-only.  Mounting read-write caused the
  strange hang even though the log has been zeroed.

Be seeing you,

- Sidik