Re: Log corruption?

To: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Log corruption?
From: James Pearson <james-p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:21:12 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
The sequence of events is:

Machine locks up - probably related to some Xwindows/application problem
(we use the Nvidia drivers)

Machine is reset

Kernel boots

Fails to mount the root (XFS) file system - either with an oops of some
error telling us the file system is corrupt etc.

Attempts to reset again produce same results above.

Booting in rescue mode, running 'xfs_repair -L' and rebooting "fixes"
the problem. xfs_repair finds some lost file and puts them in lost+found
- these are usually files from /tmp or /var/tmp.

This doesn't happen every time a machine locks up, but it occurs may be
once a week or so on one or another of our 60 or so workstations.

James Pearson