Re: Kernel 2.4.19-CVS Unable to Mount Root File System

To: David Lloyd <lloy0076@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.19-CVS Unable to Mount Root File System
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 08:00:49 -0500
Cc: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 01:34, David Lloyd wrote:

> Chris,
>
> > > I don't know at the moment -- it's currently mounted under my
> > > working 2.4.18 kernel...I'll have a look very soon :-)
>
> I am reasonably certain that the 2.4.18 kernel is an RPM from the SGI
> web-site. It's not a redhat kernel, a standard one.
>
> > You mean it's mounted now with a different kernel? What does
> > /proc/cmdline say?
>
> [lloy0076@linux lloy0076]$ cat /proc/cmdline
> auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=302
> BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-SGI_XFS_1.1 ramdisk_size=4096
> devfs=nomount
>
> ...is what it says :-)

I definitely have old filesystems which mount without issues. I suspect
you have a kernel configuration issue and the message you are getting
is not from XFS. If XFS fails to recognize the super block it prints
this:

XFS: bad magic number
XFS: SB validate failed

Do you actually have xfs built into the new kernel?

Steve