unable to use xfs_repair

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: unable to use xfs_repair
From: Sidik Isani <lksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:04:36 -1000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Oct  3 16:32:10 pelmo kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 806 (xfs_repair).

Hello again -

  We have a bit of a problem: we have needs for very large filesystems
  (more than 1 TB) but no need to scale the memory in the machines
  the same way ... except if you ever need to run xfs_repair on the
  filesystem, it seems!

  I picked up a recent version of xfs_repair (2.3.3 that I got out of
  CVS a few days ago) and it consumes all of 1 GB and never finishes
  repairing.  I can't add more swap space in a *file*, so ... well,
  this is a bit awkward.  Is it normal for xfs_repair to consume that
  much memory, and can anything be done about it?  Is there something
  strange about my filesystem causing xfs_repair to leak possibly?

  Ok, I scrounged some other partitions and converted them into swap,
  but if this is normal I guess we should consider splitting in the
  future to avoid grid-lock.  Don't make an FS that > 1000 times
  available RAM?  Seems nicer if we can avoid that, what do you think
  the practical limitations are?

Be seeing you,

- Sidik