Re: XFS "freezes" on AMD systems

To: Matthias Klose <doko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS "freezes" on AMD systems
From: Harald Wagener <hwagener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:26:56 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Matthias Klose wrote:

When unpacking large tarballs or copying data bigger than 20MB on a
XFS file system, the system seems to freeze for about three to five
seconds, HDD LEDs always on (until all caches are synced to disk?). In
this time, you cannot move the mouse, type in characters etc. I see
this behaviour with 2.4.18 and 2.4.19, but only on Athlon/Duron based
systems, both using IDE drives. I don't see this type of freeze on a
Celeron based system.

Any hints how to investigate this further?

I would rather check for the IDE chipset. Is it programmed correctly? I am using an Athlon at home, and it works without any problems on XFS. (PS: This is true for RedHat 7.1; Mandrake 8.0; gentoo-1.4).

Regards,
   Harald

--
Harald Wagener*An der Alster 42*20099 Hamburg*http://www.fcb-wilkens.com