Re: Clarification

To: "N.C. Sunil" <ncsunil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Clarification
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:07:49 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:48:12PM +0530, N.C. Sunil wrote:

> This is Sunil frm India. We are looking for a solution for the
> problem of fragmentation caused during I/O transactions on the RAID
> file system i.e.TP9400.

Fragmentation is normal and will *always* occur at times.  I assume
what you really want is sufficiently low levels of fragmentation and
high-performance in the face of fragments?

XFS seems to do pretty well here, arguably better than anything else
in the Linux world.  Outside the Linux work it's a different story :)

> We need to know if :
> 1. SGI - XFS file system can do an on-fly defragmentation of the
> data ?

Sort of.  There is a userspace utility which can in many cases
defragment files, but there are some caveats here.

> 2. Is it unique to only SGI - XFS file system ?

Nothing is unique to XFS :)

  --cw