Re: TAKE - change symlink perms to 777

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TAKE - change symlink perms to 777
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:18:24 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 02:26:14PM -0700, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 03:23:39PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
> > XFS symlinks were behaving a little differently than every other
> > filesystem on linux... we set perms as:
>
> > mode = 0777 & ~current->fs->umask;
>
> > which is how irix does it as well.
>
> > but ext2/3/reiser etc all just set it to 777, so we'll do that too.
>
> > change symlink perms to 777
>
> ... to fix those already on your fs

why? symlink permissions are completly irrelevant.

bsd also sets symlink perms according to umask, i actually prefer that
since world writable files throw a red flag in my mind when inspecting
permission.

i think if one were to set a standard uniform permission on symlinks
it should be 444 or 555, symlinks by thier nature are readonly, the
only way to alter them is unlink() and re symlink() so why pretend.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/