Re: Locking problems

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Locking problems
From: Chris Tooley <ctooley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Aug 2002 07:38:29 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry, was out yesterday.  The corruption we saw was in the data for the
application.  It's a point of sale application (which I can provide
access to or simply provide to if someone can help me with it) that uses
an ISAM database.  It appears that 2 or more people are getting the
write access to the same record at the same time.  This doesn't happen
on ext2, but does on XFS.  It would appear to me, and I'll admit I've
had no sleep for about a week, that it's a file locking issue.  In fact
we're seeing problems where two people will get the same ticket number
for their sales.  This thing gets ticket numbers by autogenerating a
table row for it and passing the key to the client application.  For two
applications to get the same ticket number they have to look and see
what the next available number is at the same time.  One of them is
supposed to lock that file during it's write, but that isn't happening.

I think that's a start.

Chris Tooley