Hacking XFS (was Re: reserve space for root?)

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Hacking XFS (was Re: reserve space for root?)
From: James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:03:33 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 23 Aug 2002, Steve Lord wrote:

> I know 99.9% of the folks out there are not developers, but
> some are, and some are capable of doing this. Folks here at
> SGI have put a lot of time into this project, including a lot
> of their own time.
>
> So think about it sometime.

Well I'm one of the 99.9%.  But I do rely heavily on XFS.  And boy do I
appreciate everyone's work on XFS and SGI's willingness to GPL it and pay
good people to work on it.

So what can a guy like me do to help?  I already mirror the CVS tree and
host install disks for Slackware (not really needed now that Slackware 8.1
ships with XFS).  I don't have a lot of time or bandwidth, but I do have a
lot of disk space and a keen interest in XFS and its success (and in SGI's
success since I'm a stock holder).  Most questions asked on this list are
beyond my ability to help.  But I can write TeX and HTML, host pretty much
anything, and whatever else doesn't require deep knowlege of kernel
internals or all the different ways to recover a file system.  So how
about it?

Perhaps I can keep track of the TODO list?  People seem to ask often "How
soon is XFS going into the kernel?" and then wonder what is keeping it
out.  Would some kind of on going status report help folks?

James Rich