Re: re[3]: 2 freeze/snapshot questions

To: Greg Freemyer <freemyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: re[3]: 2 freeze/snapshot questions
From: Adrian Head <ahead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 00:31:00 +1000
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Snapshots should be able to be generated on an active filesystem in full
flight.  If you cannot do that then something is wrong.

I have had many issues with LVM snapshots and XFS/xfs_freeze but that was a
long time ago (last year and early this year) you might check the archives to
see if the issue is something simular.  For me I stopped using xfs_freeze and
relied on the VFS-lock patch.

I did have a problem that was time related.  If I ran through snapshots
manually everything worked.  If I ran exactly the same commands in a script
it would die.  I don't think anyone was able to work it out.  In the end I
changed that way I was doing it.

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)