Re: corruption issue

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: corruption issue
From: Christian Rice <xian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:07:04 -0700
Cc: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Christian Rice wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I ran xfs_repair on it after trying a mount and getting the usual:
> >
> > [root@ozu tmp]# mount -t xfs /dev/hdb3 /hdb3
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb3,
> >        or too many mounted file systems
>
> Christian - Do you have any idea what the true error was behind mount's
> very unhelpful error message?  It would be in the system logs.
>
> I suppose it was a recovery error, but it might be interesting to see
> what went wrong in the first place.
>
> You've said that this happens to you more than you would like... again,
> it would be interesting to see if the original mount failure is the same.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Eric

As a matter of fact, the system log shows this when I try to mount:

Aug 16 10:05:51 ozu kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,67)
Aug 16 10:05:52 ozu kernel: XFS: nil uuid in log - IRIX style log
Aug 16 10:05:52 ozu kernel: Starting XFS recovery on filesystem:
ide0(3,67) (dev: 3/67)
Aug 16 10:05:52 ozu kernel: XFS: log mount/recovery failed
Aug 16 10:05:52 ozu kernel: XFS: log mount failed

Does that shed any light?

--

christian rice  director of technology
tippett studio  510.649.9711 l--xr-----