Re: XFS and net devices, any pros or cons ?

To: "Blizbor (IMA)" <tb670725@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and net devices, any pros or cons ?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:17:48 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 07:46, Blizbor (IMA) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building High Availability server with RAID
> created using LAN interfaces and drbd module.
> This will be pair of computers running in active/passive
> mode so only one of them will have mounted shared
> device at a time.
>
> Are there any problems that I should expect ?
> Is XFS good fs for that or should I use something other ?
>
> I'm also considering usage of Intermezzo.
>
> Regards,
> Blizbor

The normal way we setup something like this is to use a shared scsi
or fiberchannel disk setup, that way you no longer have a singe
point of failure. If you are putting the disks into one of the
two computers then if that system goes down you are dead in the
water. The other aspect of the above setup is using something
like failsafe, the two nodes monitor each other, and can (if
setup correctly) shoot the other node down and take over the
filesystem if it detects problems. failsafe itself is opensource,
not sure if the components of it which fail over the filesystem
to the other node are. Of course all this assumes using the fs
via NFS - the second node takes over the ip address of the failed
node.

A quick look at drbd on the net seems to show that it is designed
for these sorts of setups, and it has links to all the high
availability stuff for linux.

That aside, there should be no problem doing this, provided you
make sure the unmount from one system is complete before attempting
to mount on the other system. Mounting a filesystem which is
already mounted elsewhere is not a good thing, the second system
will think the fs needs recovery running on it.

Steve