Re: "Invalid client ID" after system lockup and subsequent reset ?

To: "Karl M. Hegbloom" <karlheg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Invalid client ID" after system lockup and subsequent reset ?
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:09:56 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, EVMS Devel <evms-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 26 Jul 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >
> > >Several times I've had my SMP machine with EVMS and XFS filesystems lock
> > >up and need to be reset.  After the reboot, sometimes filesystems won't
> > >mount (it tends to be the "/var" partition) and I must boot to single
> > >user mode.
> > >

> Note that the problem is a lockup that I suspect is SMP + EVMS +
> XFS(?) related.  Since it only seems to happen when I am compiling
> software, thus, when there is a large amount of file system activity,
> I suspect there's a race condition someplace and a deadlock.

It can happen during mount and I have seen this only on the 1.0.2 release
kernels and a squid cache on /var

Only the 1.0.2 release kernel was able to create this behaviour.
- File writes to /var would be impossible and squid could not be stopped
anymore.
- Recovery was needed because filesystem was not clean.
- System hangs during mount.

Clearing the log was enough to make it mount again.
I saw this about 3 times. After upgrading to a later kernel I never saw
the problem again. The problem was no present with earlier kernels
either.

Cheers
Seth